Dumas Museum & Art Center
  • Home
  • Window on the Plains Museum
    • Membership Information
    • Museum Day
    • Bits of History
  • The Art Center
    • Membership Information
    • Upcoming Exhibits
    • Upcoming Workshops

First Firetruck Purchased in 1929
By Glynda Pflug

Picture
Dumas' First Firetruck
Two firetrucks are along the walking trail at Window on the Plains Museum, one is the original truck purchased by the city in 1929 and was used by the fire department until 1962.

The truck was the Cadillac of fire trucks at the time of purchase. It was the only fire truck in Dumas until 1944 when another Seagrave pumper was ordered.

After 1948, it was used as a hose wagon and a standby pumper. It had a 500 gallon per minute pumper and a small water tank. It had a big brass bell on the hood. Purchase prince was $5500 for the truck and an additional 1500 feet of fire hose.

When the truck arrived in Dumas, a state fire insurance representative inspected the equipment. Two fire inspectors from the Austin Fire Insurance Department came to Dumas to inspect residences and businesses so insurance rates could be revised.

Purchase of the truck resulted in lower insurance rates for Dumas residents and businessmen. It led the way for organization of the Volunteer Fire Department in November of 1930.

R. L. Spencer was named first fire chief. S. H. Haile was assistant fire chief and George Burnett was secretary-treasurer.

Volunteers were divided into two companies.
Company No. 1:
  • A. J. Harris, captain
  • J. W. Oliver, lieutenant
  • John Cashion
  • J. C. Phythian
  • Floyd Ikard
  • O. C. Browder
  • S. R. Oliver
  • B. Goddard
  • Gaye Crigler
  • George Burnett
  • Jack Jones
Company No. 2:
  • Fuqua Younger, captain
  • Fritz Schuman, lieutenant
  • D. T. Oliver
  • Frank Bowman
  • O. C. Milton
  • Guy Dillingham
  • Alfred Gallimore
  • Perry Vermilltion
  • R. E. Ponve
  • C. J. Thompson
  • Warren Granger
The Fire Insurance Commission of Texas required the truck to be housed in a fire proof building. With permission of County Commissioners, a fire station was built on the northeast corner of the courthouse square. It was later housed across the street from the courthouse on the west side of the police station.

After the firetruck was retired, it was placed in Pioneer Park (now McDade Park) for children to play on. Then it came to its permanent home at Window on the Plains Museum.
Picture
First firetruck sits along museum walking trail
More Bits of History
Picture
Window on the Plains Museum
1820 S. Dumas Ave.
Dumas, TX 79029

​(806) 935-3113
The Art Center
1810 S. Dumas Ave.
Dumas, TX 79029

​(806) 935-5312
  • Home
  • Window on the Plains Museum
    • Membership Information
    • Museum Day
    • Bits of History
  • The Art Center
    • Membership Information
    • Upcoming Exhibits
    • Upcoming Workshops